Thursday, September 16, 2021

Blog Post #3: Taking Advantage of Nature to Alleviate Stress

    Numerous studies have confirmed that spending time outdoors can help relieve stress. What you see, hear, and experience in the outdoors helps to improve your mood almost instantly!

A Young Woman Looking Into The Binoculars And Noticing Something Royalty  Free Cliparts, Vectors, And Stock Illustration. Image 115183581.59 Cliparts-tree ideas | clip art, tree, trees to plant


Certain research studies have shown that there is a great relief of stress within minutes of being exposed to nature and is measured through muscle tension, blood pressure, and brain activity. 

What are some ways to take advantage of the outdoors?

  • Walks/hikes in forests
  • Workouts outside. A great workout to do outside is yoga!
  • Visit the beach/lake 



Here are some great spots in Hamilton you can visit to completely immerse yourself in nature! 


 

1.     The Royal Botanical Gardens


Here, you are able to explore a massive outdoor garden! You have the opportunity to:


·      SEE scenic trails, picture perfect gardens, and wildlife!

·      SMELL fragrant florals and the scents of the season

·      HEAR the wildlife

·      TASTE flavourful dishes inspired by fresh seasonal ingredients 

 


Royal Botanical Gardens - Hamilton Halton Brant


2.     Felker’s Falls Conservation Area

 

This natural attraction is nestled in the Felker’s Falls Conservation Area. Felker’s Falls flows over the edge of the Niagara Escarpment revealing a ribbon waterfall as well as geological rock formations in the bedrock gorge. It is also close to other nearby waterfalls worth exploring. (Click this link to see a video of a family exploring Felker's Falls: https://youtu.be/C_QZ1KUlRcA)

 

Felker's Falls | There's over 100 waterfalls in the City of … | Flickr


3.     Eramosa Karst Area

 

Looking for an exciting natural adventure? Venture through the Eramosa Karst; filled with underground caves and streams, meadows and forests! As one of the watershed’s most unique natural gems, it’s the perfect location for hiking, nature appreciation and education

 

This is actually a place I go to very often. One of the entrances to the Karst is actually at the end of my street. My friends and I grew up exploring inside with our bikes through the trails. It is a great way to get active and explore nature. 


Eramosa Karst Conservation Area - Hamilton Conservation Authority



4.     Van Wagner’s Beach

 

Van Wagner's Beach is a 10.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round

 

This is somewhere I go a lot as well. The trail along the beach is a great place to either walk, bike, or rollerblade. It is so nice to watch the beautiful water as you make your way down the trail. 



Points for Reflection...

In order to see if the strategies I am posting each week actually work, I mentioned that I will be testing them out weekly! Regarding my last blog post on how yoga can help alleviate stress, I decided I would try it out myself. I ended up trying out the video I linked in my Blog Post #2 on "Hatha Yoga for Beginners" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD2HvTVdkk4). After completing the 30 minute video, I did find that I felt less stressed. I felt at ease while doing the class and I would definitely try it again! I think next time, to go along with this blog post, I will try out the video again but outside. I think doing yoga outdoors will be even more beneficial! I will also be visiting one of these locations mentioned in this blog post when I am stressed to see if it helps me at all. 


Next week, I will be discussing ways in which the use of essential oils and aromatherapy help aid in alleviating stress. Stay tuned!


Until next time :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment